babellog

Friday, July 30, 2004

Python + Oracle (2)

Wow!! I didn't think getting connected to Oracle from Python would be this easy. Came across a few hickups early on, but I'm impressed!!

One was that I had Oracle 8 client. Therefore it kept on giving me the following error

ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified procedure could not be found.

Since I had downloaded the latest cx_Oracle I needed an Oracle 9i client. The resident BOFH was kind enough to point me here here, you'll need a OTN account to down load it. Just unzip the stuff there. It comes with OCI.dll. and a number of .jar which are not needed I think.

Next problem was where to setup the tnsnames.ora file. Since it didn't pick up the one in the old net/admin dir (dumb idea) didn't work, I tried putting it in the current directory, and it worked!!!

the code snippet

import cx_Oracle

connection = cx_Oracle.connect("username", "password", "tns")

cursor = connection.cursor()
cursor.arraysize = 50
cursor.execute("""select instance_name from v$instance""")
for x in cursor.fetchall():
print x[0]

1 Comments:

  • At 8:51 PM, Blogger edg said…

    the last print should be indented

     

Post a Comment

<< Home